The mission of the Friends of Maine Seabird Islands is
to encourage conservation and appreciation of seabirds, their nesting and coastal habitats, and to support the Maine Coastal Islands
National Wildlife Refuge.
Goals and Objectives
- Develop networks to support funding for seabird island protection.
- Build diverse, broad-based community support.
- Build awareness and appreciation of seabirds by providing information.
- Promote local and national media coverage.
- Attend and present information at fisherman and boat shows.
- Sponsor symposia, lectures and conferences, and written materials.
- Support the development of a seabird education center and special
- Sponsor an island intern program.
- Operate a web site.
- Build partnerships and coalitions with other coastal conservation
- Develop individual, foundation and corporate support.
- Sponsor hands-on, activity-oriented stewardship projects.
Friends of Maine Seabird Islands was incorporated
as a nonprofit organization in July 2002 and received 501(c)(3)
tax status from the IRS in May 2003.