The mission of the Friends of Maine’s Seabird Islands is to support Maine Coastal Islands National Wildlife Refuge in its efforts to conserve, protect, and enhance the rich diversity of coastal habitats, seabirds, and other wildlife. In order to achieve our mission we have developed goals and objectives.
• Develop networks to support funding for seabird island protection.
• Build diverse, broad-based community support.
• Build awareness and appreciation of island habitats through education.
• Promote local and national media coverage.
• Attend and present information at fisherman and boat shows.
• Sponsor symposia, lectures and conferences, and written materials.
• Support the development an education center and special programs.
• Sponsor an island intern program.
• Operate a web site.
• Build partnerships and coalitions with other coastal conservation organizations.
• Develop individual, foundation and corporate support.
• Sponsor hands-on, activity-oriented stewardship projects.
Friends of Maine’s Seabird Islands was incorporated as a nonprofit organization in July 2002 and received 501(c)(3) tax status from the IRS in May 2003.